Rover Dramawerks presents 365 Women a Year Festival
This international playwriting coalition, founded by Jesslynn Eisenberg Chamblee, involves playwrights across the world who have signed on to write one or more plays about extraordinary women in both past and present history. The project’s ambitious yet focused goal is to write women back into the social consciousness, as well as empower and promote female playwrights, and plant seeds of herstory around the country.
Plays range from long monologues to large casts and cover the last 300 years to present day and everywhere in between. Likewise, they will range in length from less than 10 minutes to about an hour. Local playwrights include Caroline Turner Cole, J. Sanders Nelson (who was also represented last year), and Carol M. Rice (who has written all three years). Allie Costa of Los Angeles, Jennifer O’Grady of Pelham, NY, and Susan Shafer of New York City also return for the second year, and Rita Anderson of Austin returns for the third year.
- The Anesthetic Was Psalms by Nancy Gall-Clayton (Jeffersonville, IN)
- Julia Tuttle: The Mother of Miami by Marj O'Neill-Butler (Miami Beach, FL)
- The Deaths of Anna May Wong by Anne V. McGravie (Chicago, IL)
- Return to Sender: The Minnie Cox Story by Rita Anderson (Austin, TX)
- Linda by Diana Burbano (Costa Mesa, CA)
- Herstorical Pen-Pals by Caroline Turner Cole (Dallas, TX)
- Curtain Rods by J. Sanders Nelson (Dallas, TX)
- No Limits by Carol M. Rice (Plano, TX)
- Little Swan by Allie Costa (Los Angeles, CA)
- The Mysterious Affair at the Christies by Jennifer O’Grady (Pelham, NY)
- Joan by Susan Shafer (New York, NY)
- Hitler’s Whore by Jim Colgan (Wallingford, KY)