Preservation buffs will want to mark their calendars for May 31, when the annual Preservation Achievement Awards will honor top preservationists during an event at the Statler hotel in downtown Dallas. The dinner and reception will include a keynote by Stephanie Meeks, president and CEO of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The award ceremony recognizes Dallas’ most significant preservation contributors and preserved places. Honors will be given to 16 winners, including 11 properties and five special recognition awards.
Those five special recognition award winners include:
- Downtown Dallas, Inc. – Honoree
- AIA Dallas – special recognition award winner
- Dallas County Medical Society Alliance – special recognition award winner (the Aldredge House celebrates its centennial year this year)
- Conley Group – special recognition award winner
- National Trust for Historic Preservation – special recognition award winner
In addition to the opportunity to rub elbows with other people who value old things, the event will offer entry inside the Statler, one of the city's most-anticipated and soon-to-open historic places.
After 16 years vacant, the hotel is undergoing a multi-multimillion dollar renovation and is one of Dallas’ biggest preservation success stories. Event attendees will get to catch the first peek at the project in its final stages of rehabilitation by Centurion American.
The event caps off Preservation Dallas’s month-long celebration of National Preservation Month, which is recognized in cities nationwide during May. The month aims to herald cities' histories while laying the foundation for their future growth.
This year’s award-winning projects are:
- Cupaioli House
- Gables Residential State-Thomas Brownstones
- Geotronics Building
- Hamilton Park Pavilion
- Highland Park Town Hall
- Jefferson Tower
- Lee Park WPA Roque Courts
- Mayflower Building
- Sidell House
- Typo Campus – 600 North Tyler Street
- Wheatland United Methodist Church
Tickets are $125 for members and $175 for the general public; in addition to the awards ceremony, you get a seated dinner and valet parking. General public reservations also get you a one-year Preservation Dallas membership, which includes free or reduced pricing to other Preservation Dallas events. Reservations are required; call 214-821-3290.