We're already in planning mode for the 2017 State Fair of Texas, which runs September 29-October 22. That includes this key update from DART on how to get there and when the big games are going down.
In 2016, more than 2.8 million passengers rode DART light rail to the fair. The transit agency expects similar ridership numbers this year and has scheduled the following changes:
- Extra Green Line trains between Victory and Lawnview stations from 9:30 am-3:30 pm weekdays, and 9:30 am-7 pm weekends
- All extra Green Line trains will feature 3 cars
- Orange Line extended to Parker Road on all trips, weekdays, and weekends
- Additional Green and Blue line service after 7 pm Saturdays and Sundays
- Extra buses on Routes 60 and 409 Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays
- Sunday operation for Trinity Railway Express (TRE) from Fort Worth, yay. The TRE will operate on all four Sundays during the fair.
DART Police will be present in the State Fair Emergency Operations Center, troubleshooting issues immediately as they occur.
Direct to the fair
There are two key stops on the DART Green Line to get to the fair:
- Fair Park, located on Parry Avenue at the entrance to the fairgrounds
- MLK, Jr., located south of R.B. Cullum Boulevard and convenient to the Gate 6 entrance and the Cotton Bowl stadium
Extra Green Line trains will be available approximately every 15 minutes between Victory and Lawnview stations from 9:30 am-3:30 pm weekdays, and 9:30 am-7:30 pm on weekends.
Connecting from other trains
All DART Rail and Trinity Railway Express (TRE) passengers can transfer easily to the Green Line. Trains going to the fair will say "Fair Park," "Buckner," or "Lawnview."
- Orange Line passengers from Irving transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
- Southbound Orange, Red, and Blue line passengers transfer at Pearl/Arts District or St. Paul stations.
- Northbound Red and Blue line passengers transfer at Akard Station.
- TRE passengers transfer to the Green Line at Victory Station. Details are at TrinityRailwayExpress.org.
Customers using the Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) should check DCTA.net for departure and arrival times and to ensure smooth connections at Trinity Mills Station to DART’s Green Line. The DCTA will be adjusting their schedules during the fair.
Day Pass and GoPass app
Purchase a Local Day Pass for $5, good for DART Rail, local buses and riding the TRE from CentrePort Station. Tarrant and Denton County customers need a Regional Day Pass for $10. Purchase passes at ticket vending machines at all DART and TRE stations or on the GoPass app available for both Apple and Android.
Save $2 and buy your State Fair of Texas general admission with the GoPass app. Show your purchased fair ticket on GoPass at any gate to gain entrance. It is not necessary to buy a DART transit ticket to take advantage of the State Fair discount ticket. Details are available at DART.org/StateFair or by calling DART Customer Information at 214-979-1111.
Additional service to two football games played at the historic Cotton Bowl will be provided by DART and the TRE.
- October 7: The Southwest Airlines State Fair Classic between Prairie View A&M University and Grambling State University
- October 14: AT&T Red River Showdown game between the University of Texas Longhorns and the University of Oklahoma Sooners
Details are available at DART.org/StateFair.
Other popular special event dates to consider riding DART are Columbus Day on October 9; Lower Grade School Day on October 13, and High School Night on October 20.