Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Dallas attorney dies in shootout with police at luxury Uptown condo. A decorated Dallas attorney died in a puzzling early-morning shootout with police at a luxury Uptown condominium. Michael Schmidt of the Schmidt Law Firm was shot and killed around 2 am January 2. Police were responding to reports of a burglary when Schmidt, 47, allegedly opened fire on the officers from a barricaded area in a hallway.
2. Mysterious death at Katy Trail in Dallas leaves more questions than answers. A 50-year-old woman was found dead near the Katy Trail around 7:30 am December 29. The body has been identified as Christie Pennington of Kemp, Texas. Her body, which was in the 3300 block of Maple Avenue, did not exhibit any physical trauma. Police have listed the death as unexplained, though homicide detectives continue to investigate.
3. Who's in, who's out: 2013 Dallas restaurant openings and closings. Reporting on new restaurants is one of our favorite hobbies, along with making lists and checking them twice. Dallas-Fort Worth diners enjoyed a wild year of restaurants openings, big and small, and welcomed all sorts of new concepts and cuisines. Also, in the least surprising news ever, Sfuzzi Uptown admitted it's closing.
4. The 20 most fabulous looks from the 2013 Dallas social scene. We can always count on the Dallas social set to pull out all the stops, style-wise, before painting the town. These are some of our favorite looks from the most fashionable and philanthropic events of 2013.
5. The 6 best new Dallas bars of 2013 to get your boozy fill. It’s the end of another year, and that means that things have to be labeled and listed lest we forget. In this edition, we examine the six best new bars in Dallas that abused our livers this year. It’s a pretty wide array of styles and neighborhoods, ensuring that if you were looking around, you weren’t likely to be bored.