It might feel like 2017 is coming at you fast, so in order to get the most out of this year you'd better plan ahead. This is especially true here in Dallas, since there are so many amazing events on the docket.
A lot of them are going down in one place: the Dallas Farmers Market. You may already be hitting up this hot spot for your weekly groceries or to find that perfect present for your bestie, but there's so much on tap at this Dallas landmark. And beginning February 1 you can actually live at the DFM, as the highly anticipated Harvest Lofts will officially be open and welcoming tenants.
So get your calendar ready as we highlight just a few of the can't-miss events coming up at the Dallas Farmers Market.
Ongoing: Walkabout With a Chef
This longstanding — and free— event is a crowd-pleaser, as you get to shop the DFM with a well-known local chef as he or she shares their recipes, shows you how to pick out the right ingredients, and then demonstrates how to make the dish in The Shed. Event takes place every second Saturday
Ongoing: First Friday
From 6-9 pm, enjoy the The Market after dark by browsing local merchants and artisans, sipping brews, and enjoying food and live music. The first 50 folks to come to the information booth after 6 pm receive a $5 coupon to use that day only in any shops/restaurant in The Market.
February: Yoga and Breakfast
Each Saturday in February, open your chakras with V12 Yoga Studio in The Market at 8 am, then enjoy a delicious breakfast from that week's participating restaurant at 9 am. $30 per person, and the menus are as follows:
February 4 — Rex's Seafood
Choice of the following, served with fresh fruit and a mimosa:
• Seaside Omelet: lump crab, shrimp, spinach, grape tomatoes, red onion, cheddar, and goat cheese.
• Crab Cake Benedict: crab cake on top of toasted ciabatta with poached egg and béarnaise sauce.
• Cajun shrimp and grits: grilled shrimp wrapped in bacon on top of Southern-style spicy cheese grits with Tabasco remoulade.
February 11 — Laili
Egg skillet wrap with your choice of the ribeye, chicken, or vegetarian filling, served with a slice of custard French toast and hot tea or a Turkish or American coffee.
February 18 — Palmieri Cafe
Italian savory pastry choice of the following, with any coffee drink on the menu. Plus take home two sweet pastries, packaged and ready to enjoy later.
• Calzone: filled with mozzarella and tomato sauce (the classic), beef and Parmesan, or chicken with tomatoes and green olives.
• Rustico: filled with mozzarella and creamy tomato sauce (the classic), or ricotta and spinach.
• Cornetto Salato: filled with prosciutto crudo (di San Daniele) and mozzarella, or prosciutto cotto and pecorino cheese.
February 25 — Nammi and Stocks & Bondy
A Vietnamese inspired pairing of the following.
• 8 oz. cup of artisan bone broth with a breakfast egg banh mi, served with cilantro, cucumber, jalapeno, pickled daikon carrots, and garlic mayo on a freshly baked French baguette.
February 11: Dallas Observer Morning After Brunch
For a city that takes brunch so seriously, it's astonishing that there's never been a blowout devoted entirely to the weekend meal. Dallasites thought so too, as the event sold out quickly, but if you do have your tickets expect bottomless samples from restaurants such as Bread Winners, Grayson Social, Hypnotic Donuts, Ida Claire, Meso Maya, Stirr, and Knife. There will also be (not-bottomless) samples for bubbles, bloody Marys, cocktails, and beer.
March 25: Boho Market
Shopping at the DFM is always a one-of-a-kind experience, but the Boho Market amplifies that by bringing in even more vendors with handmade, artisanal items. Go nuts picking up clothing, decor, accessories, and gifts that you are guaranteed not to find anywhere else.
April 29: ¡Taco Libre!
Indulge in some pre-Cinco de Mayo fun with tacos from the region's best taquerias, live music, and lucha libre wrestling. This spicy event has sold out the past two years, so be sure to snag your ticket — either $16 general admission or $60 VIP — early.