Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Dallas shoppers must attend the most curious estate sale of a lifetime. Dallas has no shortage of estate sales; they happen every weekend. But the one at 5946 Vickery Blvd. stands out for its sheer obsessiveness. Called A Curious East Dallas Estate Sale, it’s being coordinated by Jason Cohen, owner of vintage shop Curiosities, and represents the lifelong cache of quirky collector Maxey Smith. The sale runs through Sunday, January 31.
2. Forbes names Dallas-Fort Worth one of America’s next boomtowns. Texas is the land of opportunity, according to a Forbes report on America’s next boomtowns. The publication analyzed the 53 largest metro areas in the country to determine which have the best chance of prospering in the next decade, and four of the 10 are in Texas — including Dallas-Fort Worth at No. 7.
3. Greenville Avenue healthy grocer stages cunning comeback. Fans of Green Grocer on Greenville Avenue can turn that frown upside down, as the little market that could is staging an unusual comeback by staying open as a mini-version of itself. The new concept is called GG Micro Market, and it will have limited hours and a smaller staff. Co-owner Cassie Green says that it’s their creative way of solving a dilemma.
4. Stalwart home-cooking restaurant in Lakewood center gets the ax. Bad news for home-cooking fans: Lakewood old-timer Dixie House shut down January 29. According to the Lakewood Advocate, Dixie House was forced out by landlord Lincoln Properties, which had the restaurant on a month-by-month lease while it shopped for new tenants.
5. East Dallas’ vegan restaurant loss becomes Plano’s gain. Sykamore Cafe in East Dallas has closed, but the family who owns it has resurfaced in the suburbs. Their migration from Dallas to Plano was a two-part deal that began in November when they were approached by the owners of Asian Delights Cafe, a Malaysian restaurant at Custer and Parker roads in Plano.