Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Where to eat right now: 10 best restaurants for cheap dates. In the realm of dating, you need to act like a high roller without actually, you know, spending a lot of money. You need a restaurant that’s high-energy but not noisy, with a menu that’s not dull but also not weird. Here are 10 such places in Dallas.
2. Silk Road drug kingpin and UT Dallas alum faces life in prison after guilty verdict. Ross Ulbricht, founder of the online narcotics empire Silk Road and University of Texas at Dallas alum, was found guilty on seven charges, including drug and money-laundering conspiracies and a continuing criminal enterprise statute normally reserved for mob and drug cartel leaders.
3. Affordable Texas town wins title as America’s No. 1 place to live. Finding a great place to call home often is a compromise between affordability and fun — but in this Central Texas town, you can have both. According to new rankings from Livability, Round Rock is the No. 1 best affordable place to live in the country.
4. Dallas-Fort Worth breweries move to next stage in craft beer evolution. It seems like new craft breweries are still opening every day around Dallas-Fort Worth. Meanwhile, established local breweries are moving to the next level with new capabilities that include canning and special releases.
5. Spanish Colonial in trendy East Dallas neighborhood lays on the charm. If “character” is at the top of your house-hunting wish list, look no further than this new listing in super-hot Lakewood Heights. The Spanish Colonial at 6338 Ellsworth Ave., listed for $559,000, satisfies the desire for something old, but also something new.