Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Here’s the annual salary required to buy a median-priced home in Dallas. How much do you need to earn to afford a median-priced home in Dallas? Mortgage tracking site HSH.com found out. Researchers calculated the annual before-tax income required to cover a median-priced home’s mortgage principal, interest, tax and insurance payments in 27 major U.S. cities, including three in Texas.
2. Kimmel and McConaughey make hilarious commercial for lucky Texas business. In January, Jimmy Kimmel tweeted out a call for submissions from small businesses on the premise that he and Matthew McConaughey would produce a commercial for one lucky company while the late-night talk show host was in Austin during SXSW. Out of the thousands of responses, Kimmel picked the place he felt needed the most recognition: Vulcan Video.
3. Virgin America really wants to rule Dallas Love Field with 2-for-1 travel deal. As part of its “All Fares Being Equal, Awesome Wins” campaign, Virgin America is offering two-for-one flights out of Dallas Love Field, and all you have to do is give them three friends’ email addresses. Don’t worry, though. Your friends will get something too. Offer ends April 8.
4. Rihanna and Big Bang Theory star give Plano red carpet action for Home premiere. On March 17, Rihanna and Jim Parsons came to Plano for a premiere of their DreamWorks Animation film Home. Why? Because Plano-based Minnie’s Food Pantry founder Cheryl Jackson won the screening in a Good Morning America contest. We were there, where we chatted with amiable director Tim Johnson, who said he was happy to get out of LA.
5. New Gatsby nightclub aims to fulfill champagne dreams in downtown Dallas. A new club has opened downtown, in the old Plush space at 1400 Main St. Champagne is the focus, with a long list of bubblies and a champagne mezzanine. The team behind it includes Ross Edinboro, whose previous projects include Club 8 and Lotus (now Standard Pour), and a silent partner who goes by the nom de club Jay Gatsby. The club world is so colorful.