Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Days are numbered for longtime Oak Lawn restaurant Snookie's. Oak Lawn hangout Snookie's will close on May 30. After 26 years, the restaurant-bar lost its lease, according to co-owner Gene Street Jr., who speculates the landlord has bigger plans for the center.
2. The 10 best margaritas in Dallas for discriminating cocktail drinkers. There are margaritas to sip with your Tex-Mex, and margaritas to get you buzzed. And then there are the margaritas we're exploring here: Born in the mixology age, they go beyond the basic cocktail with the addition of kitchen ingredients like cilantro leaves and pineapple wedges and jalapeño slices.
3. Overnight torrential downpour leaves Dallas a flooded mess. Dallas was on the receiving end of another soaking downpour Thursday night, and the morning commute was slow in many areas due to high water and closed roadways. The city continues to urge drivers to use extreme caution when traveling and turn around when in doubt.
4. Need to get away? These 3 Texas retreats are worth the drive from Dallas. Looking for a weekend getaway? Despite its massive size, Texas has some pretty great getaways only a few hours away. These Hill Country destinations will appeal to every type of occasion and traveler.
5. A critic's breakdown of Dallas' new crop of healthy restaurants. With Dallas-Fort Worth ruling the world as the capital of healthy restaurant chains, and with a branch of Modmarket finally open in Dallas proper, the time has come to pit these concepts against each other. We're not about to analyze every dish, but we will try to separate the gluten from the wheat.