Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. State Fair of Texas kingpin Fletcher's does the unthinkable with new corny dog for 2015. Fletcher's, the original food vendor at the State Fair of Texas, will debut an exciting new product for the 2015 fair that heeds a major trend in dining: a veggie corny dog. Proprietor Gigi Fletcher confirms that a vegetarian corny dog will be on the menu, in response to a growing demand from customers.
2. Stylish TCU grads set up shop in Fort Worth’s fancy new development. The Neiman Marcus in Fort Worth made waves late last year when it announced plans to move from its long-standing location in Ridgmar Mall to the new Shops at Clearfork development. Now another high-end store, this time a locally owned shop, plans to open in yet another new riverside development. Pax & Parker is set top open in WestBend this fall.
3. Four North Texas high schools graduate to best in the nation. Just in time for the first day of school, Newsweek has revealed the top 500 high schools in the country — and four Dallas-Fort Worth-area schools make the cut.
4. Secret in-the-know Dallas bar reopens at Highland Park Village. If you're an in-the-know type, then all we need to say is, "The Monkey Bar," and you know what we're talking about. It's the unofficial title of the speakeasy at the Highland Park Village branch of Mi Cocina, and it has just received a makeover which — fingers crossed — will be ready for prime time on August 21.
5. Two new high-profile Dallas restaurants set the table for September. Foodie frenzy alert is set to go off the first week of September, when two high-profile Dallas restaurants in the works will start serving up gourmet grub.