The Texas automotive press gathered once again at Texas Motor Speedway near Fort Worth to evaluate the latest cars and choose the best. The annual TAWA Texas Auto Roundup is like an auto show where you can drive the display models — and put them through their paces on the road and racetrack.
This year, the competition was particularly tough and the voting among journalists exceedingly close.
Mercedes-Benz and their performance division AMG brought champion driving ace Tommy Kendall to take passengers on scorching quick laps in the super exclusive Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Coupe Black Series (Kendall also happens to personally own one), but it wasn't quite enough to take the supercar title away from the sexy 2013 SRT Viper GTS Coupe, making its much-awaited return to production.
But it's not all about supercars, of course. The Ford Fusion took home the prize for Family Car of Texas and Mid-size Car of Texas, and the Cadillac ATS won the Performance Sedan category.
A great addition this year was a fully functioning electric car charge station by eVgo, to support the growing number of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, like the 2013 Ford C-Max, Smart Electric Drive and Chevrolet Volt.
Here is the full breakdown of the Texas Auto Roundup voting results:
- Sub-compact Car: 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo, the tamer version of the ridiculously cool 500 Abarth CultureMap named 2012 Hot Hatch of the Year
- Compact Car: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo
- Performance Compact: 2013 Scion FR-S, which CultureMap named 2012 Performance Car of the Year
- Mid-Size Car: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium, the hybrid version CultureMap named 2012 Smart Energy Car of the Year
- Full-Size Car: 2014 Chevrolet Impala
- Mid-Size Luxury Car: 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
- Full-Size Luxury Car: 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum Collection AWD
- Performance Coupe: 2013 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
- Performance Sedan: 2013 Cadillac ATS , our pick for 2012 CultureMap Car of the Year
- Minivan: 2013 Chrysler Town & Country Limited
- Activity Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Journey Crew
- Performance Utility: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
- Supercar: 2013 SRT Viper GTS Coupe
- Green Vehicle: 2013 Chevrolet Volt
- Best New Feature: Ford Hands-Free Lift Gate
- Best New Interior: 2013 Chrysler 300C John Varvatos Luxury Edition
- Best Value: 2013 Ford Focus ST
- Family Car of Texas: 2013 Ford Fusion
- Car of Texas: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500