I would bet good money most people don't even realize that Dallas has a city motto, much less that it changed on Friday. The only city with a truly mainstream motto is Las Vegas, and who can compete with the marketing power of sin city?
Be that as it may, Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau is rolling the dice with a $5 million campaign to promote tourism through the phrase "Big things happen here." Not quite as catchy as "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," but I get the nod to the state stereotype of largess.
Before you break out your Google fingers, Dallas did have a motto before this one, and it wasn't that much different. "Live Large. Think Big" has been the city's calling card since 2004.
That's all well and good, but what we really want to know is what taglines were left on the cutting room floor. Here are our best guesses:
- More hair per head
- Mourning Big Tex since 2012
- As seen on TNT
- We barbecue everything — even our museums
- Shop your way through your problems
- Proud birthplace of Chili's
- Not as cool as Austin, but not as fat as Houston
- Home of the world's most fickle sports fans
- Big things happen here ... ladies