To compile the list, food editor Pat Sharpe and barbecue editor Daniel Vaughn led a team of 15 staffers and one freelancer. They visited 658 places over the past eight months. They sampled at least three meats, two sides and a dessert, and they awarded most points for brisket.
Two of the top 50 are in Dallas proper:
- Lockhart Smokehouse, with its genuine Kreuz Market sausage
- Dallas Farmers Market hot spot Pecan Lodge
Fort Worth gets a nod for the following:
- Cousin's Bar-B-Q, which recently opened a location at DFW Airport
- Longoria's BBQ, where BBQ Snob liked the brisket, sausage and ribs
Burb spots include:
- Meshack's Bar-B-Que in Garland, a BBQ Snob discovery back in 2009
- Bartley's Bar-B-Q in Grapevine, which BBQ Snob visited twice in order to verify what kind of wood they burned.
- Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, which BBQ Snob visited in 2008
Vaughn, you may recall, is based in Dallas. We like the way this new Texas Monthly arrangement is working out.