To the great delight of Preston Hollow, Midway Hollow, and other neighborhoods nearby, the newest, hotly anticipated location of Central Market opened at the corner of Midway Road and Northwest Highway in Dallas on September 5.
Central Market is the upscale sibling of supermarket chain H-E-B, founded in Austin in 1994. It's noted for its serpentine, European-style layout, bountiful produce department, 80-foot seafood case, hundreds of cheeses, 2,500 wine labels, and in-house cooking school.
Central Market Midway marks the company's 10th location in Texas, and the third in Dallas. It will stock more than 20,000 products, rotating new products in but also getting rid of others.
The store totals over 50,000 square feet on two levels, and will have many new features, including:
- eight-foot specialty mushroom table filled with delicacies not found in any other retail store
- selection of red and white burgundies from France as well as an extensive collection of Bordeaux from the Loire Valley
- Texas coffee roasters in more than 100 varieties, plus limited-edition micro lots, single-origin beans, and Central Market’s in-house roasted coffee
- old fashioned New York style bagels — boiled and oven-finished in their bakery
- a modular combination cooking school and community room to be used for cooking classes, special events, and community gatherings
- specialty olive oils and small-batch vinegars
- 100 varieties of bronze die pasta
The store will also offer Curbside Service and Home Delivery, including beer and wine, hello —within a seven-mile radius. There is a full service floral shop, plus catering and gift basket departments.
Stephen Butt, president of Central Market/H-E-B, says in a release that the neighbors have admitted to being customers at the other two Dallas locations at Preston-Royal and on Greenville Avenue at Lovers Lane.
"Central Market will be an integral part of Northwest Dallas," he says.
Central Market's other locations are in San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Plano, Southlake, and Fort Worth.