Mum's the word in College Station these days. The NCAA reportedly questioned star quarterback Johnny Manziel for six hours Sunday about alleged autograph payments. But Texas A&M officials aren't talking about Manziel's activities on the field or off.
ESPN first reported the meeting, which is said to have taken place on campus. Manziel is said to have denied accepting money for his signature. On Monday, Aggies senior associate athletics director Jason Cook expressed the university's game plan for Manziel mania via Twitter:
Texas A&M Coach Kevin Sumlin, staff and players will not address starting QB Johnny Manziel's status at weekly presser on Tuesday. #12thMan— Jason Cook (@jason_cook) August 26, 2013
The Aggies open the 2013 football season against Rice University on Saturday at Kyle Field. Manziel is now expected to start the game, though earlier reports of the autograph scandal had previously jeopardized his position.
Although all eyes will undoubtedly be on Manziel come Saturday, the real test will be the Aggies rematch with Alabama on September 14. If Manziel plays in that game and is later ruled ineligible for violating NCAA rules, an Aggie win would be vacated.
Meanwhile, Manziel has once again gone silent on Twitter, leaving his nearly half a million followers with the following message from August 1 — three days before the autograph scandal reports surfaced.
I ain't perfect, I ain't insane but I AM worth it...if there's one thing I am worth it. People keep hatin but it ain't WORKIN!— Johnny Manziel (@JManziel2) August 1, 2013