SXSWho have we got here?
SXSW sounds off with celebrity-filled 2019 keynote and speaker lineup
A few short weeks after SXSW dropped the first details of its 2019 programming, the homegrown festival made its second keynote announcement and added even more notable names to the featured speaker lineup.
On October 9, SXSW revealed Joseph Lubin will join SXSW Interactive as a keynote speaker. According to a release, Lubin is the founder of ConsenSys and "co-founder of blockchain platform Ethereum, a decentralized application platform incorporating a virtual machine that executes peer-to-peer contracts based on cryptocurrency micropayments." (Got that? Sure. We did, too.)
"Lubin is one of the foremost visionaries shaping the rapidly developing blockchain industry, and as such we're excited to have him as the first-ever Keynote complementing the Blockchain & Cryptocurrency track in the second half of SXSWeek," said Hugh Forrest, SXSW's chief programming officer.
Lubin joins the previously announced Chrvches frontwoman Lauren Mayberry; writer, producer, and director Marti Noxon; Garbage singer Shirley Manson; and Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom as next year's keynote speakers.
Leading this round of featured speakers is comedian and actor Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project, SuicideSquad); VP of Amazon Web Services Sandy Carter; musician Wyclef Jean; and famed French chef Dominque Crenn.
Additional speakers include:
- Cannabis rights activist Steve DeAngelo
- Actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson
- Senior advisor to the Obama Foundation and author Valerie Jarrett
- Director of the Digital Currency Initiative at the MIT Media Lab Neha Narula
- Author and entrepreneur Neil Pasricha
- Former Starbucks chairman and CEO Howard Schultz
- Actress and entrepreneur Zoe Saldana
- Award-winning journalist and author Maria Shriver
- EU Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager
- Author Frank Warren
- Author and Kiip co-founder and CEO Brian Wong
- Actress and comedian Sasheer Zamata
- CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker
"The speakers announced today run the gamut of conference content," continued Forrest, "exemplifying our standing as the foremost destination for creative people to gain the skills, knowledge, and inspiration to achieve their goals."
SXSW returns to Austin March 8-17, 2019. Badges for all portions, including Interactive, Music, and Film, are available now.