Edgefest is back. The 2014 version of the annual music festival hosted by 102.1 KDGE-FM returns on April 26 to Toyota Stadium in Frisco, with some righteous acts, including The Avett Brothers, Bastille and Beck.
Tickets go on sale on February 14 at 4 pm.
This marks the 24th year for the festival. The official announcement came earlier than its usual mid-February release. The full list includes 14 bands, and the overall vibe seems consistently gentle — from The Avett Brothers' roots rock to the electropop of Smallpools.
It's definitely more mellow compared to prior lineups that featured hard-rock acts like Korn and Limp Bizkit:
- Beck. Alternative singer-songwriter from Los Angeles was the voice of his generation.
- The Avett Brothers. Roots rock quartet led by brothers Scott and Seth Avett.
- Bastille. Lush, anthemic '80s-inspired quartet led by dramatic singer Dan Smith.
- Cage the Elephant. Funk-punk quintet from Kentucky has enjoyed critical and commercial success, appearances on Jimmy Kimmel and is an Edgefest returning champ.
- Grouplove. Indie-rock coed quintet from Los Angeles fuses quirkiness with an arena-ready roar.
- New Politics. High-energy Brooklyn trio blending punk, pop, and dance rock is an Edge fave, having played the station's 2013 Christmas concert.
- The Neighbourhood. Los Angeles band mixes indie rock, electronica, hip-hop and R&B.
- Switchfoot. Christian rock band is an old-timer that has played Edgefest before.
- Chvrches. Frosty up-and-coming electro-pop trio from Glasglow spells its name with a "v" on purpose to make them more Internet-friendly.
- MS MR. New York chillwave duo clings to its anonymity: She goes by MS, and he goes by MR.
- J. Roddy Walston & The Business. Baltimore rock quartet led by singer J. Roddy Walston specializes in a classic-sounding Southern rock/Americana style. A frequent touring partner with Cage the Elephant.
- Kongos. South African rock band made up of the four Kongos brothers.
- Bear Hands. Post-punk indie-rock band from Brooklyn.
- Smallpools. Specializing in shimmery, ebullient and effusive electro-pop, Los Angeles-based indie rockers formed in 2013.