This Week's Hot Headlines
Insider foodie news and untimely deaths lead this week's 5 most popular stories
Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Where to eat in Dallas right now: 10 best insider foodie destinations. Staying atop Dallas' dining scene is a quixotic pursuit. There is always the cool new thing, mercilessly eluding you. A person could spend every waking hour trying to keep up. Or they could read this roundup by senior editor and resident foodie Teresa Gubbins.
2. Deep Ellum rocked by trio of sad deaths. An unfortunate trilogy of deaths hit Deep Ellum when three well known regulars died, all within the same week. Punk-rock musician and music lover Brian Alguire died on Wednesday; he was 37. Scott Lastowski, a 39-year-old veteran bartender, also died on Wednesday. His friend David Rell, 39, died on June 2 of natural causes.
3. Where to drink in Dallas right now: 10 top spots for summer happy hour. Maybe you already have a favorite spot that you hit every Thursday and Friday (and every other Wednesday for good measure). But here are some newer options to make every day of the week feel like an occasion to raise your glass.
4. New Sykamore Cafe gives Dallas vegan scene a unique Asian-fusion twist. Sykamore is a family-run spot that opened May 28 in East Dallas. It takes an approach similar to restaurants such as Loving Hut and Veggie Garden (which just closed), by featuring vegan versions of Asian and some Western dishes, with a limited buffet served at peak hours.
5. City of Dallas vows to investigate allegations against Kung Fu Saloon. DeAndre Upshaw took his battle against Kung Fu Saloon to City Hall, and council members were all ears. They vowed to open an investigation into alleged discrimination, and to visit the arcade bar themselves, which they did that evening.