Some of Hollywood's all-time favorite courtroom classics will be screened at the McKinney Performing Arts Center as part of its inaugural McKinney Classic Film Festival. Experience the glamour of old Hollywood in the unique Courtroom Theater of MPAC, located at the former Collin County Courthouse in the center of historic downtown.
- 7:30 pm: | Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) - Frank Capra produced and directed this film, with a star-making performance by Jimmy Stewart as regular guy, Jefferson Smith. Appointed to the U.S. Senate as a pliable puppet, Mr. Smith must battle for his good name and for justice as political machinery turns against him.
Saturday, September 12:
- 11 am: Inherit The Wind (1960) - Set in 1925, Inherit The Wind tells the story of the Scopes Monkey Trial that put a Dayton, Tennessee high school teacher into the public spotlight for teaching about Darwin’s theory of evolution. Sparks fly when Spencer Tracy and Frederic March match wits as the famous opposing attorneys in the trail.
- 3 pm: 12 Angry Men (1957) - A 12-man jury must decide the fate of a young man in a capital murder trial. One dissenting voter in the jury, played by Henry Fonda, slowly turns the tide of the jury verdict as the summer temperature rises and tempers flare.
- 7:30 pm: To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) - A young girl called “Scout” takes her town, her neighbors, and her father, Atticus, a lawyer, all for granted, until she sees the bigotry and prejudice that permeate her society. Through a racially charged trial and its surrounding events, she comes to understand her father’s integrity and shows the personal strength that gives her hope for the future.
Mary Badham, who portrayed "Scout" in the film, is scheduled to be the festival's inaugural guest of honor. She will walk the red carpet and attend a special meet and greet event for VIP ticket holders, followed by an onstage interview and screening of the film. All ticket holders will have the opportunity to walk the red carpet and are encouraged to dress in their finest Hollywood attire.
- 2 pm: Adam’s Rib (1949) - Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn duke it out in this battle-of-the-sexes comedy as married attorneys who end up on opposing sides in a trial about a woman who shoots her unfaithful husband.
- 4 pm: Closing Party featuring the Big Band sounds of the McKinney Community Band.