Audacity Theatre Lab presents Dallas Solo Fest
All events are subject to change due to weather or other concerns. Please check with the venue or organization to ensure an event is taking place as scheduled.
Audacity Theatre Lab will present Dallas Solo Fest, which will feature six distinct one-person shows presented by performers from around the country.
Featured shows will include:
- The Biscuiteater by Jim Loucks - Jim Loucks' rollicking solo performance draws on his Southern childhood to tell the story of a small-town policeman, loosely based on his Granddaddy, haunted by his shooting of a black man in the line of duty. As he nears the end of his life, he seeks redemption through teaching his grandson to respect life and to respect himself.
- Cody Clark: A Different Way of Thinking by Cody Clark - Cody Clark has a different way of thinking, a different way of seeing the world. Whether it’s finding the magic in an everyday moment, or recreating an everyday moment with his magic, the magician’s art is never far from his mind. But it isn’t the only thing. Cody discovered his love for magic at age 11, 9 years and 9 months after his parents discovered he had autism. Through stage magic and story, sleight of hand and journey of mind, Cody will show you the world through his eyes. Maybe you’ll find that his way of thinking isn’t all that different from yours.
- Drunk Lion by Chris Davis - A lonely alcoholic Lion spends his days drinking into oblivion in a cantina, until he meets Chris, a young foreigner learning how to speak Spanish. The unlikely pair forge an intoxicated bond over life, love, and alcohol. Drunk Lion is written in Spanish and English, but it's all translated for you in the action, so no one is left behind.
- Meatball Séance by John Michael - John Michael returns to the Dallas Solo Fest after his sell-out show Crossing Your I's (later retitled Dementia Me) at DSF 2014. Meatball Séance is his latest offering - quite literally - to the gods and ghosts of memory. John Michael attempts to summon the spirit of his deceased mother so she can meet/approve of his new boyfriend. And what better way to connect than through her favorite recipe for meatballs?
- Oh, Jesus! Or... by John S. Davies - Jesus is back (well, he says he's Jesus...) and he has daddy issues. The crucifixion/resurrection thing didn't work out so well the first time. The world is still in chaos, so he's convinced his Father to let him try again, but this time he's going to use 21st Century tech to get the word out. Oh, and he needs followers to help him. That would be you. Which would be great, except he keeps getting interrupted by a cynic with a stick up his ass. Davies presents a strange and uproarious meta-journey into the landscape of faith and deception.
- PerVirgin by Nkechi Chibueze - Kechi is 34 years old and has never been kissed . . . and she REALLY wants to talk about it. Join Kechi as she lays out the blueprint to becoming a super virgin, shares her cringeworthy crushalationships with lessons in love, reveals her grandiose plans for her first kiss, and and explains how the Pussycat Doll and Zumba are her sexy spirit animals!
For a full schedule of events, go to the festival website.