Finding a silver lining in the coronavirus is next to impossible, but some Dallas restaurants and businesses are doing their best by serving up special offers to make it sting a little less.
Here's some deals to check out:
Big Yellow Box
Dickey's Barbecue Pit has launched a new catering innovation called the Big Yellow Box, designed to feed small gatherings. There are five new self-contained pick-up options that serve up to 12 people:
- Pulled Pork Party Pack ($85) – 4 lbs. of pulled pork, slaw, barbecue beans, potato salad, rolls, pickles, onions, rolls, sauce
- Sandwich Party Pack ($99) – 12 sandwiches, Caesar salad, potato salad, pickles, onions, sauce
- Original Party Pack ($110) – 2 lbs. of brisket, 2 lbs. of pulled pork, slaw, potato salad, beans, pickles, onions, sauce
- Wings and Ribs Party Pack ($115) – 18 ribs, 24 wings, mac & cheese, slaw, rolls, sauce
- Brisket Party Pack ($155) – 4 lbs. of brisket, choice of three sides, rolls, pickles, onions, sauce
Margs to go
Uncle Julio's has launched new frozen margaritas to-go for curbside pick-up at all DFW locations. They're doing both frozen and swirl margaritas in three sizes: 16-ounce pouch for $10, half-gallon for $30, and gallon for $50. You let the margarita sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes until it achieves that perfect slushy consistency.
Avanti Restaurant in Uptown Dallas is offering wine specials every Tuesday. Two of their favorite wines — such as Alias 2018 Cabernet for $35 or Jean-Luc Colombo 2018 Rose for $29 — will be featured for in-house sipping or bottle to go.
Happy hour specials
On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina has new Happy Hour specials on appetizers and drinks. It's an elevated Happy Hour menu Monday-Friday 3-6 pm, with $5 appetizers and an all-new appetizer: Queso Sampler. They're also discounting Dos Equis beers. These items are available only during happy hour and include:
- Queso Sampler – Border-style queso, signature queso, and smoky queso
- Mini cheese quesadillas
- 5 Mini Crispy Tacos with chicken or beef
- 4 Firecracker Stuffed Jalapeños with chicken and cheese, and a side of queso
- 3 Mini Burritos with choice of chicken or beef, and a side of queso
- Cantina Nachos with refried beans, ground beef or chicken tinga, queso, pico de gallo, lime crema, and guacamole
Ida Claire in Addison has begun hosting movie nights on the patio every Thursday, when guests can enjoy a free nostalgic or classic movie, starting at 9 pm. During the showings, they'll offer special movie night bites and beverages, including $5 Ranch Waters and $5 Crawfish Corn Beignets. This week's movie is Dirty Dancing, and they'll have a $5 Dirty Martini as the special movie night drink.
Future movies include:
- July 30 - Zoolander
- August 6 - Footloose
- August 13 - Three Amigos
- August 20 - Clueless
- August 27 - Office Space
- September 3 - The Sandlot
- October 3 - Mean Girls (it's "National Mean Girls Day," who knew)
For reservations, call 214-377-8227 or visit www.ida-claire.com.
Rent a theater
Studio Movie Grill is offering customizable private auditoriums for $200. The rental includes the entire auditorium, luxury recliners in most locations, a choice from 100+ classic movies or guests can bring their own content. Food from the SMG restaurant and full-service bar is available to add-on, and can be ordered safely from a server or through the App or Kiosk.
There are auditoriums in a variety of sizes, and will allow up to 50 people, per the current occupancy mandate.
SMG has more than 100 classic titles in rotation such as A Star is Born, Pokemon Detective Pikachu, and the Harry Potter series, as well as a robust lineup of exciting, high-quality new releases from smaller independent studios.
They're also increasing operating hours in several locations, offering showtimes Monday-Thursday 3-9 pm and expanding Friday-Sunday hours from 12-10 pm. This allows private bookings during lunchtime and in the afternoon.