Ordinarily, we'd be anticipating all the discounts we could get in our annual trips to the State Fair of Texas this time of year. But with the biggest event on the Dallas calendar canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, we'll have to look elsewhere to soothe our bargain-hunting souls.
We've unearthed some of the best deals around Dallas-Fort Worth to ease the strain on our readers' bank accounts. Below are the top five deals to check out this week.
- Cinemark: The movie theater chain has opened three Dallas-Fort Worth area locations and plans to open more on August 21 when Words on Bathroom Walls and Unhinged become the first big movies to open in theaters since the start of the pandemic. Cinemark is enticing moviegoers with $5 tickets for adults and $3 for children and seniors for “Comeback Classic” films, as well as favorite traditional concessions at greatly reduced “Welcome Back” prices. The movie discounts only apply to older films; the new releases will be at regular prices. In addition, you can rent out an entire theater for up to 20 guests for $99 for a selection of older films, or $149 for new releases.
- Houlihan’s: The restaurant chain's Garland location is offering a 15 percent discount to all healthcare workers through August 31. The discount is valid for dine-in or carryout orders when the order is placed by calling the restaurant. Workers must show their medical ID/badge to receive the offer. The offer is not valid on houlihans.com or third party delivery orders, or with other offers, discounts, or promotions. The discount is not available at the Denton location.
- Nordstrom: The department store, which has three regular locations and six Nordstrom Rack locations in Dallas-Fort Worth, will start its annual Anniversary Sale on August 19, running through August 30. The sale includes Daily Deals that offer even bigger discounts on select items for men and women from brands like ALLSAINTS, Zella, Madewell and more. Anyone who picks up Anniversary Sale purchases in-store via Curbside Pick-Up will be automatically entered to win a $100 Nordstrom Gift Card and more.
- Pressed Juicery: The national juice chain, which has three Dallas-Fort Worth area locations, will celebrate National Soft Serve Ice Cream Day on August 19 with 50 percent off their vegan soft serve, Freeze, all day long in store and online. Freeze is a plant-based soft serve made from real fruits, nuts, and vegetables. The online coupon code is "SWIRL."
- Toro Toro Fort Worth: The Latin steakhouse, which was one of eight restaurants that vied for Best New Restaurant at this year's Tastemaker Awards, has just introduced its first daily happy hour. Food specials include Toro Toro Burger for $10, Beef Filet Anticuchos for $9, Amarillo Ceviche for $10, and more, along with drink specials on items like the Tradicional Margarita, Tradicional Mojito, and select beer and wine.