Dallas-Fort Worth continues to prove it's home to some of the best businesses in the state. Two local employers in fact - Texas Oncology and Fidelity Investments - have moved into highly coveted top-10 spots on Forbes' 2023 list of "America’s Best Employers By State".
The prestigious list is a collaboration between Forbes and Statista to survey the satisfaction levels of tens of thousands of workers employed by national companies.
Dallas-based Texas Oncology - the largest cancer treatment and research providers in the state - earned a rank of No. 6. Forbes says there are more than 4,700 workers employed by the oncology network.
On its career website, nurse leader Nicole Forkner, BSN, RN, OCN said Texas Oncology has been her "home away from home" for nearly two decades.
"So many of our patients have left a lasting memory with me. Not only are we healing their heart, mind, and soul, but they are healing ours too," Forkner said. "The guidance we have received from our amazing Texas Oncology leadership team has led us through hurricanes, ice storms, new initiatives, software changes, and the COVID-19 pandemic."
Fidelity Investments made major gains in 2023. Though the company might be based in Boston, Massachusetts, its big presence in Westlake (coupled with a great work environment and advancement opportunities) propels it to the top year after year. The financial services corporation climbed to No. 9 in Texas this year, after ranking No. 22 in Forbes' 2022 list. There are about 61,000 people employed by Fidelity, according to the report.
Forbes explains that those on the list "aren’t the best large or midsize employers nationally, but a deeper look at which companies are closer-to-home options for every American worker."
Forbes and Statista determined their rankings by surveying 70,000 Americans working at employers in the U.S. with at least 500 employees each. The final list features 1,392 highly recommended employers in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Nearly 270 employers ranked highly in multiple states.
Here are the 30 best large employers in Texas, as determined by Forbes and Statista:
- No. 6 – Texas Oncology, based in Dallas
- No. 9 – Fidelity Investments (based in Boston; major corporate hub in Westlake)
- No. 14 – Capital One (based in Richmond, Virginia; major corporate hub in Plano)
- No. 17 – University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas
- No. 22 – Southwest Airlines, based in Dallas
- No. 24 – Texas Health Resources, based in Arlington
- No. 25 – General Motors (based in Detroit, Michigan; major assembly hub in Arlington)
- No. 27 – City of Plano
- No. 28 – Toyota North America, based in Plano
- No. 3 – Google (based in Mountain View, California; major corporate hub in Austin)
- No. 13 – Apple (based in Cupertino, California; major corporate hub in Austin)
- No. 2 – H-E-B (based in San Antonio; more than 300 stores in Texas)
- No. 26 – University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- No. 1 – NASA (based in Washington, D.C.; Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake)
- No. 4 – Houston Community College
- No. 5 – Houston Methodist
- No. 6 – Texas Children's Hospital
- No. 18 – National Oilwell Varco
- No. 19 – Bechtel (based in Reston, Virginia; major corporate hub in Houston)
- No. 8 – Salesforce (based in San Francisco, California; offices in Austin and Dallas)
- No. 10 – IKEA (based in Sweden; five stores in Texas)
- No. 11 – Costco (based in Issaquah, Washington; 38 stores in Texas)
- No. 15 – Cardinal Health (based in Dublin, Ohio; 23 locations in Texas)
- No. 16 – Microsoft (based in Redmond, Washington; offices in Austin, Dallas, Friendswood, Frisco, Houston, San Antonio, and The Woodlands)
- No. 20 – Leidos (based in Reston, Virginia; locations in San Antonio, Houston, and Webster)
- No. 21 – Cisco Systems (based in San Jose, California; offices in Austin, Dallas, Irving, Richardson, Houston, Laredo, and San Antonio)
- No. 23 – IBM (based in Armonk, New York; offices in Austin, Houston, Dallas, and Frisco)
- No. 29 – Nike (based in Beaverton, Oregon; 26 locations in Texas)
- No. 30 – Charles Schwab (based in San Francisco, California; 25 locations in Texas)