Cliburn International Junior Piano Competition and Festival
The Cliburn will present the Second Cliburn International Junior Piano Competition and Festival. The Junior Competition will take place May 31-June 8, with Preliminary, Quarterfinal, and Semifinal Round performances at Caruth Auditorium at SMU, and the Final Round concert at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ruth Reinhardt.
The preliminary round of four concerts on May 31 and June 1 will feature 24 pianists, each performing a 20-minute recital to include a virtuosic etude and one three- or four-voice Bach Prelude and Fugue. The quarterfinal round of four concerts on June 2 and 3 will feature 14 pianists, each performing a 30-minute recital to include the first or last movement of a Classical sonata.
The semifinal round of three concerts on June 5 and 6 will feature six pianists, each performing a 40-minute recital to include a work by a living composer (June 5), and one concerto movement with piano accompaniment. The final round on June 8 will feature three pianists, each performing one complete concerto with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.
There will be a series of free events during the festival:
- May 30: Free concert at Klyde Warren Park (12-1 pm)
- June 1: Free concerts at Dallas Museum of Art and NorthPark Center (11:30 am-12:30 pm)
- June 5: Free concert at Klyde Warren Park (12-1 pm)
- June 6: Free concerts at Dallas Museum of Art and NorthPark Center (4-5 pm)
- June 8: Simulcast of 2019 Junior Competition Finals at Klyde Warren Park and Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth (2:30-7 pm)