Kitchen Dog Theater presents New Works Staged Readings
Kitchen Dog Theater will present New Works Staged Readings, featuring the following performances:
- 1 pm: We Will Not Be Silent - Based on the true story of Sophie Scholl, a German college student who led the only act of public resistance to the Nazis during the Second World War, this play is not about the Holocaust - but examines the role that ordinary Germans played in the rise of Hitler.
- 4 pm: Black Super Hero Magic Mama - When her son is killed by a White cop, a mother’s overwhelming grief forces her to retreat inward, where she lives out her vengeance as a comic book superhero. Will she stay in this fantasy world where Black sons don’t die, or return to reality and mourn her loss?
- 1 pm: The Veils - After a deployment to the Middle East, Mel, a female Marine, returns home to plan her wedding. How can she manage her family issues while still struggling with the ghosts of her time in Afghanistan?
- 4 pm: Poor Herman - Poor Herman unearths the life of Herman Melville, who arguably wrote America's best and worst novels back-to-back in 1850 and 1851. While America now celebrates his achievements, this play explores the line between utter genius and epic failure and what it cost an icon to make history. Winner of the 2017 KDT/University of Texas MFA Playwright Project.
- 1 pm: The Animals - Carlo and Marissa decide to give up electric lights and alarm clocks and live like animals within the confines of their own home, while continuing to get dressed, go to work, and talk to their neighbors like civilized citizens.
- 4 pm: Cam Baby - Privacy. Identity. Lookism. The value of women. A fast paced ensemble comedy about the selves we create and the stories we consume.