Animal Rescue

Dallas Animal Services intervenes to save dogs from Grandview Avenue house fire

Dallas Animal Services intervenes to save dogs from house fire

An East Dallas house fire in the early morning hours of June 24 ended in tragedy. Two people sustained injuries, and more than 50 dogs that were inside the home died.

Dallas Animal Services has rescued 15 dogs so far. It is administering oxygen support and other life-saving measures. 

"Our vet staff is scrambling to rig up something utilizing the oxygen equipment we use for our spay/neuter surgeries while our managers reach out to some of our partners for help," said a shelter spokesperson. 

At 3:54 am, Dallas Fire-Rescue responded to a 911 call for a structure fire at a home, located at 400 Grandview Ave. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire; unfortunately, it was not enough to save the lives of at least 53 dogs.

It is unknown why so many dogs were in one home, but according to the fire department, there were more than 70 total. The maximum number of pets allowed in a detached home in the city of Dallas is five.

The two people, a husband and wife, were in the home at the time of the fire. They sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to local hospitals for further evaluation. According to a commenter on the shelter's Facebook page, the couple had "rescued" the dogs.

Investigators determined that the fire resulted from an unspecified electrical short in the non-fixed wiring of a window-mounted air conditioning unit located in a bedroom near the middle of the house. The fire rapidly spread throughout the home, causing extensive damage.

Dog, fire, Dallas Animal Services
One of the dogs rescued from a fire in East Dallas receives oxygen at Dallas Animal Services.  Photo courtesy of Dallas Animal Services
Buy Tickets