This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note:Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Tom Thumb plans exit from Highland Park Village. Those who’ve gotten used to picking up a gallon of milk after a spin through Chanel, Hermes or Jimmy Choo will have to rethink their grocery shopping strategy: Tom Thumb has announced that it is moving out of Highland Park Village sometime in the next 12 months.
2. California-based Project Pie pizza enters Dallas with a bang. Operating on the thesis that there is no such thing as too much pizza, Dallas will be home to the first Texas branch of an innovative fast-casual pizza concept called Project Pie. Dubbed "the Chipotle of pizza," Project Pie diners go through a cafeteria line and specify toppings. Pizzas cook in three minutes or less in an 800-degree oven.
3. Say goodbye to Dallas website Pegasus News. After seven years in operation, Pegasus News, the hyperlocal news site in Dallas, is about to get its plug pulled by the Dallas Morning News. According to two sources who asked not to be named, the site will be swallowed up by the newspaper's GuideLive site, with a splashy cover-up/re-launch slated to unfurl within the next week or two.
4. Dallas juice bar scene gets boost with fresh new arrivals. Dallas is working on its profile as the juiciest city in the world with the entry of one new company — a renowned juice veteran from New York — and expansion of another. Elixir Juice Bar is opening its first Texas store in Dallas at the Shops at Park Lane, and Dallas-based Vim+Vigor is now available at Whole Foods.
5. Chipotle's vegan-coveted sofritas tofu comes to Texas. In today's thrilling vegan news, Chipotle is adding a tofu option to its permanent national menu, to be available in Dallas-Fort Worth stores later in 2014, possibly by the end of spring. The company will offer its spicy scrambled tofu called "sofritas," which can be added to a burrito, taco, rice bowl or salad.