This Week's Hot Headlines
Dallas' Katy Trail bridges gap to top this week's 5 most popular stories
Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Dallas will shut down Mockingbird Lane for pedestrian bridge. Motorists who use Mockingbird Lane had to keep an eye out this week, since the road was temporarily shut down for a night. The good news, though, is that the temporary closure enabled completion of the long-awaited Katy Trail pedestrian bridge.
2. Greenville Avenue seafood institution pulls up anchor. In what can only be called the end of an era, the original Daddy Jack's on Greenville Avenue is closing. Its closure comes on the heels of similar news about the Crown & the Harp next door, which is also closing, due to the building they're in being sold.
3. Dip into the best queso in Dallas-Fort Worth. It goes without saying that there is no bad queso. With this cheesy Tex-Mex dip, the badder the better. We're not talking about authentic dishes such as queso fundido that use actual cheese — this is the melted orange stuff, be it Velveeta or the creamy Land 'O' Lakes Extra Melt that many restaurants use.
4. These 6 startups are the ones to watch in Dallas right now. The spirit of innovation is alive and well here, and Texas is home to some of the nation’s best-known companies. It goes without saying we’re excited about the companies emerging this year. From health and wellness to shopping local and getting involved with municipal politics, these six startups are the ones to watch.
5. Put your hands together for the 10 best chefs in Dallas. Our annual event honoring the best in local food and drink took place on April 20, at Sixty Five Hundred. Leading up to the event, we profiled Rising Star Chef, Best Neighborhood Restaurant, Best Bars, Best Bartenders, Best Wine Program, the top pastry chefs, and the restaurants with the best fried chicken. But this is one of the the biggest categories of all: Best Chef.