Links We Love
Steven Spielberg dinosaur trophy, animal-themed condoms and more links we love
Editor's note: There's so much that's beautiful, funny, smart and informative on the Internet. Problem is, there's also a bunch of garbage. Here's the best of the web right now:
1. A whole bunch of people thought Steven Spielberg killed a real dinosaur. Call it leftover rage from the exotic-game-hunting Texas cheerleader. Tons of people on social media lost it when a photo of Steven Spielberg smiling next to a prop triceratops cropped up online.
2. Pilot orders pizza for entire plane during bad weather delay. Getting trapped on a plane that's grounded on the tarmac can be a maddening experience. You're so close, yet so far from your final destination, which makes irritation inevitable. One pilot's solution? Free pizza.
3. 18 people explain why they donated to that weird potato salad Kickstarter. It's the potluck dish that moved a nation. The $10 goal to make potato salad has attracted nearly 6,000 backers and is north of $45,000 (though that number fluctuates daily). The reasons why many chose to contribute are surprisingly philosophical.
4. New GPS program finds most beautiful route instead of shortest. Most of our car trips are about expediency, but every once and awhile we want to stop and smell the roses. Enter a new algorithm from Yahoo researchers that coordinates the scenic route to your desired location.
5. Urban gardener creates exotic backyard jungle. Living in the city has its perks, though a closeness with nature is not typically one of them. A UK man decided to see if he could have the best of both worlds. More than 25 years and tens of thousands of dollars later, his urban backyard doubles as a tropical paradise.
6. Endangered animal-themed condoms employ catchy slogans. Speaking of life on the wild side, the Center for Biological Diversity is giving out 40,000 condoms with slogans like "Wrap with care, save the polar bear." The animal-conscious rubbers will be handed out in cities across the U.S., including Dallas.