Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines. Looking for the best things to do this weekend? Find that list here.
1. Blue-paneled '50s office building in downtown Dallas to become residences. A distinctive '50s building in downtown Dallas has a new owner with big plans. The building is 211 North Ervay, notable for its pretty pale-blue paneled facade, and it's been acquired by Wolfe Investments, a real estate company headed by CEO Kenny Wolfe, with plans to transform it into residences.
2. 10 best restaurants in Dallas include fresh upstarts and revered classics. This entry in our special editorial series highlighting Tastemaker Award nominees paid tribute to the big kahuna: Restaurant of The Year. These 10 restaurants are the established players, the places that for one reason or another ruled the Dallas scene in 2023.
3. Mi Cocina veteran opens new modern Mexican restaurant in Sunnyvale. A former Mi Cocina pro has opened his own restaurant on the southeast side of Dallas in Sunnyvale: Called La Carretera Modern Mex Kitchen, it's from Erick Barrera, who worked with beloved restaurateur Mico Rodriguez for many years first at Mi Cocina and then at Mesero, Mico's post-Mi Cocina startup.
4. Dolly Parton hosts pop-up shop at Frisco's Star during ACM Awards week. ACM Awards co-host Dolly Parton knows what the people want: more Dolly. So the Queen of Country is opening a limited-run pop-up shop called Dolly! All Access during ACM Awards Week, at The Star in Frisco, May 9-14.
5. Dallas' best chef, restaurant, and more winners crowned at 2023 Tastemaker Awards. After weeks of anticipation, the best restaurants, bars, chefs, and more culinary superstars were crowned at our 2023 CultureMap Dallas Tastemaker Awards. On May 4, the winners were revealed at an awards ceremony and tasting event at Fashion Industry Gallery.