This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Malaysia Airlines plane wreckage spotted in Indian Ocean. On March 24, Prime Minister Najib Razak announced that Malaysia Airlines flight 370 crashed into a remote part of the Indian Ocean. Advanced satellite imagery identified objects believed to be wreckage of the missing plane, but search efforts have since shifted to another area. North Texan Philip Wood was one of three Americans on the ill-fated flight.
2. Dallas plastic bag ban gets approved — barely. Dallas City Council members voted eight to six in favor of regulating single-use bags. City-owned facilities will ban plastic bags outright, while retailers will be required to charge 5 cents per bag. Those opposed to the ordinance worried about infringing on business owners' rights and possible legal ramifications.
3. Dallas police report active shooter near Victory Park in downtown. On March 25, police first responded to reports of shots being fired around 10 am at the Vista Apartments in the 2300 block of Houston Street. Believing an armed man was barricaded in his apartment, patrol officers called in the SWAT team. Police apprehended the suspect around 1 pm and no injuries were reported. In an odd twist, police did not locate a gun, nor did they file charges against the man.
4. Newest trend in Dallas-Fort Worth wine-drinking follows path of craft beer. First seen locally at Whole Foods Market and gone-but-not-forgotten The Commissary, wines on tap are beginning to surface at wine bars and fine restaurants such as Savor at Klyde Warren Park and Woodshed Smokehouse, Brewed and WineHaus in Fort Worth.
5. Dallas photographers exploit cool thunderhead cloud for visual thrills. A cool and captivating "thunderhead" cloud blossomed in the early evening sky in Dallas on March 27, transfixing drivers, photographers and videographers across North Texas. We collected a few of their awesome photos and a time-lapse video.