This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Landlord dispute sends Dallas' Wild About Harry's custard shop packing. In an Instagram post read across Dallas, Wild About Harry's — the quirky little shop on Dallas' Knox Street that's been serving frozen custard and hot dogs for 22 years — shared bad news on April 23: That they'd be shutting down the shop in May.
2. Dallas' best restaurant and top chef revealed at 2018 Tastemaker Awards. On April 19, the winners of the CultureMap Dallas Tastemaker Awards were revealed at a ceremony and tasting event at Sixty Five Hundred, emceed by award-winning television personality and Good Morning Texas co-host Jane McGarry. These are the 2018 winners.
3. Lakewood estate of mayor known as 'Mr. Dallas' hits market for $2.9 million. Chateau des Grotteaux — a Lakewood estate with a storied past, most notably the one-time residence of Dallas mayor R.L. Thornton — just hit the market for nearly $2.9 million.
4. Jenna Bush Hager shares playful and poignant family stories at Dallas luncheon. Ten days before Jenna Bush Hager fought through tears to read verses from Proverbs 31 at former first lady Barbara Bush's funeral in Houston, she came to Dallas to share stories of her family and childhood that were both serious and hilarious. The occasion was the Park Cities Historic and Preservation Society's Distinguished Speaker Luncheon.
5. Art Ball 2018: The best-dressed ladies and gents show Dallas how it’s done. Fundraising in Dallas is serious business. So is fashion. And on the social circuit, the two go hand in hand, especially at events like Art Ball. At the Dallas Museum of Art’s signature gala, the attire may be black tie, but it is never boring.