Dog park debacle, BBQ blowout and One Direction top 5 most popular stories this week
Editor's note:Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Mutts Cantina in Uptown already has Dallas dog community growling. Although "mutts" is in its name, the newly opened Mutts Cantina, a combination restaurant-dog park in Uptown Dallas, already has upset some pet owners with a restrictive policy that forbids certain breeds of dogs. The policy originally banned Chow, Presa Canario, Doberman, Malamute, husky, German shepherd, Rottweiler, pit bull and Shar Pei but has since been whittled down to discriminate solely against pit bulls.
2. One Direction's 1D World pops up in Dallas at Shops at Park Lane. At long last, you have a chance to buy your own adult onesie when a pop-up retail store dedicated to boy band One Direction opens at the the Shops at Park Lane on Saturday, June 22. Called 1D World, the store will be wedged between Gordon Biersch and Bowl & Barrel, where it will stay in business for a bittersweet limited span of two weeks.
3. Top Texas BBQ joints team up for Cafe Momentum blowout benefit. For its July 7 dinner, Cafe Momentum is embracing summertime with a full-on barbecue picnic. Executive director Chad Houser and the young men of Youth Village Resources of Dallas are teaming up with top barbecue joints Pecan Lodge, Lockhart Smokehouse, Stanley's, Slow Bone and Joseph's Riverport Barbecue in Jefferson, Texas, for a meaty end to Fourth of July weekend. Tickets go on sale June 23.
4. Price slashed by $1 million on most amazing contemporary home in Dallas. The Cliff Welch-designed home at 4755 Chapel Hill Rd. has been radically reduced from from $2,950,000 to $1,950,000. The home — really two buildings connected by a glass bridge — sits on a .35-acre wooded creek lot. The two-story rear wing features the living areas, while the split-level front houses four bedrooms, including a master suite with music room and private patio.
5. Dallas has one of the best new restaurants in the world. In one of those maddening slideshow click fests, Conde Nast Traveler has announced its list of the 70 best new restaurants in the world, with one important entry: Spoon Bar & Kitchen, the Preston Center seafood restaurant from chef John Tesar. It puts Dallas on the map next to restaurants from San Francisco, New York, Paris and Tokyo.