This Week's Hot Headlines
State Fair fried food nominees fire up this week's hottest Dallas headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Fried ranch tops list of State Fair of Texas 2018 Big Choice Awards. The 2018 fried-food contest at the State Fair of Texas returns. After a first round of judging, 31 semi-finalists have been named. In the biggest fried condiment news since 2009's award-winning fried butter and 2014's fried Sriracha balls, there is deep fried ranch.
2. Mustangs edge out Horned Frogs in new ranking of best colleges in Texas. There's plenty of reason for Mustang pride in the latest college rankings. A new report from College Consensus notches SMU one spot ahead of its cross-town arch rival, TCU, among the top schools in Texas. SMU rides in at No. 6, and TCU, at No. 7.
3. Downtown Dallas can walk to the movies at new Cinepolis luxury theater. Downtown Dallas dwellers can now bike-share or scooter to the movies thanks to Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas-Victory Park, which opened on July 27.
4. Concert venue Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie undergoes name change. The concert venue we've been calling Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie for the past 10 years or so has changed its name to a new, slightly stripped down, slightly less sponsory moniker. Drumroll, please: It is now called The Theatre at Grand Prairie.
5. These Dallas charities are making a difference for animals in need. We take a look at the Dallas-area charities and nonprofits that are protecting and caring for those most vulnerable in the community — animals in need. Find out how to support, get involved, and help rescue animals with these local organizations.