This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Cotton candy taco wins at 2018 State Fair of Texas Big Tex Choice Awards. A sweet taco made from a waffle and filled with puffy cotton candy took the prize for Most Creative confection at the 2018 State Fair of Texas Big Tex Choice Awards, the annual contest celebrating fried foods.
2. Shady circus slinks into Garland despite ban on wild animals. A circus with a shady history is bringing elephants to the city of Garland, which an animal group charges is a violation of Garland's ban on wild animals.
3. Striking Dallas theater co. raises the mercury with its 2018-19 season. In its inaugural season, Imprint Theatreworks covered an American classic, a hard-rock tale of lust and murder, and a West End musical hit. For its second season, audiences can expect a contemporary classic, a hard-rock tale of wrath and murder, a quirky comedy, and an immersive song cycle. Hey, if it works, don't change it.
4. These are the 8 best things to do in Dallas this weekend. There's some great stuff going on in and around Dallas this Labor Day weekend, including three music festivals, a one-weekend-only theater event, a different way to enjoy a classic movie, and a huge college football game. Here are the best ways to spend your free time this weekend.
5. Revered Dallas custard shop puts Deep Ellum location out of its misery. While ice cream shops seem to be opening in Dallas' Deep Ellum neighborhood almost daily, there's one sad exception: Wild About Harry's, the quirky little frozen custard and hot dog shop that was a spinoff of the Knox Street original, has closed its outlet at 111 S. Hall St.