Farmers Market News
Uptown's West Village resurrects farmers market with renewed foodie focus
After a false start a couple years ago, West Village is back in the farmers market game with the Uptown Farmers Market, debuting March 28 and running every Saturday through October, from 8 am to noon.
The market will take place at West Village in the South Alley, located in the heart of the district in front of Mi Cocina and the Magnolia Theatre.
Uptown Farmers Market was created to supply a demand for fresh, organic produce and natural food items, says spokeswoman Madison Hunnicutt. "Our mission is that the market will encourage people to eat locally, live healthy, and support regional farmers and businesses," she says.
With its outdoor personality and collection of shops, the West Village seems like the right fit for a farmers market, and the center did host one a few years ago. However, it was suspended in 2011 after losing focus.
"We tried it in the past, but it went down a different path with non-food-oriented items," Hunnicutt says. "We're keeping this one strictly food products."
They're working with the team that hosted the 2014 farmers market at Trinity Groves, which will not host a market this year.
In addition to food vendors, there will be food trucks parked along Lemmon Avenue and live music from Dallas musicians. All of the vendors grow or produce their own food within a 150-mile radius of Dallas, including fruits, vegetables and specialty food items.
These are the participating vendors:
- Promise of Peace Community Garden produce
- Steel City Pops gourmet popsicles
- Caliper Farms herbs and native plants
- Brazos Valley Cheese cheeses and BBQ sauces
- Lemondrop Homemade Lemonade beverages and mustards
- Cita’s Salsa
- Baugh Farms produce
- Diana’s Jams & Pickles
- Sadie B Foods Jamaican sauces
- Texas Toffee
- GoldRush Mustard
- Round Rock Honey Co. raw honey
- Paul Quinn College We Over Me Farms produce
- Gimme Emporium treats and snacks
- EMA Baking Co. biscotti
- Bisous Bious Patisserie pastries and coffee
- Buda Juice cold-pressed juices