The ever-spinning Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck, the rotating restaurant at the Reunion Tower in downtown Dallas, is going seasonal on desserts with the debut of a new menu from pastry chef Erika Lucio.
You may recall that Lucio was a nominee for the 2018 CultureMap Tastemaker Awards, for best pastry chef. She was also a participant in the event with a memorable dessert that contained red plum, jackfruit, and Thai basil.
This in no way influences our perspective on her work. The undeniable fact of the matter is that she is an awesome pastry chef, one of the best in Dallas, if not all of Texas.
Her new dessert menu features seasonal ingredients and Asian-inspired flavors, including raspberry, matcha tea, and lemongrass. In list format, they are as follows:
- Caraibe chocolate mousse, with almond cake, compressed raspberry filling, and matcha tea ice cream; Caraibe is a chocolate from Valrhona.
- Japanese cheesecake with berries, honey-passion fruit sauce, and lemongrass ice cream
- Yuzu baked Alaska with blueberry ice cream, buttermilk cake, and white chocolate sauce
- Assortment of house-made cookies in flavors that include candied pecan, peanut butter-chocolate mousse, dark chocolate-coffee bonbon, and a daily macaron
- Bittersweet chocolate soufflé with chocolate sauce, hazelnut gelato, and créme faîche whipped cream
- Ice cream or sorbet - three assorted flavors of house-made ice creams or sorbets
A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, Lucio worked with chef David Collier at chef John Tesar restaurants Spoon Bar & Kitchen and Knife, where she learned about balancing flavors in a dessert the same way you would a savory dish. Her desserts at Hubbell & Hudson Bistro in The Woodlands earned accolades such as "spectacular."