Dallas-based Southwest Airlines rides eclipse fever with special '24 flights
Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. is riding that solar eclipse fever with new flights that will give a bird's-eye view of the next one in 2024.
According to a release, the airline is offering seats for sale on flights that will operate in the direct and partial paths of the total solar eclipse taking place on April 8, 2024.
The path of totality for the 2024 eclipse will pass across several U.S. states where Southwest operates, including Arkansas, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, New York, Ohio, and Texas.
Seeing the eclipse from the vantage point of a plane is surely unique, although obviously window seats would be optimum.
"Today's annular solar eclipse was an exciting sneak-peak of the total solar eclipse occurring next year, and our Meteorology and Network Planning Teams identified the best opportunities for a potential view of this breathtaking sight," said Southwest Airlines Chief Meteorologist David Dillahunt in a statement.
"With our flight schedule, we're able to offer hundreds of seats in the sky to view the eclipse, and we look forward to showcasing our Hospitality on this day while celebrating with our customers," Dillahunt says.
Network and schedule planners modeled the operational day against projections of the umbra and penumbra—shadows cast by the moon's eclipse of the sun on April 8.
They came up with theese scheduled Southwest flights as having the the best onboard view:
- Southwest Flight #1252: 12:45 pm departs Dallas (Love Field) for Pittsburgh
- Southwest Flight #1721: 12:50 pm departs Austin for Indianapolis
- Southwest Flight #1910: 1:20 pm departs St. Louis for Houston (Hobby)
These flights may also cross the path of totality during their scheduled operating time:
- Southwest Flight #955: 12:30 pm departs Dallas (Love Field) for Chicago (Midway)
- Southwest Flight #506: 1:05 pm departs Milwaukee for Dallas (Love Field)
- Southwest Flight #1734: 1:35 pm departs Houston (Hobby) for Indianapolis
- Southwest Flight #1682: 1:30 pm departs Chicago (Midway) for Austin
- Southwest flight #3108: 1:40 pm departs Nashville for Dallas (Love Field)
To book an open seat on one of the flights operating on April 8, 2024, or any other flights, Customers may visit Southwest.com.
And it goes without saying that looking directly at the sun is never recommended, and that one can safely observe an eclipse with specialty-rated solar filters.