To announce its list of the best new chefs for 2014, Food & Wine editor Dana Cowin took to Twitter. She opened with this teaser — "it's a big day for Texas" — before posting selfies with the 12 winners, including Matt McCallister of FT33.
McCallister and FT33 are no strangers to these national lists. And the Lone Star contingency is strong, with three of the 12 coming from Texas: McCallister is joined by Paul Qui of Qui in Austin and Justin Yu of Oxheart in Houston. The awards are given annually to chefs who have been operating their own restaurants for five years or fewer.
This list is not to be confused with the people's choice competition that included McCallister, Omar Flores (Driftwood) and Brian Zenner (Belly & Trumpet) from Dallas. Other people's choice contenders from Texas include Qui, Andrew Wiseheart and Mat Clouser from Austin and Yu, Terrence Gallivan and Seth Siegel-Gardner from Houston. Voting closed on that March 31, and the results are expected to be announced April 2.
Here is the complete list of Food & Wine's best new chefs for 2014:
- Justin Yu, Oxheart, Houston
- Cara Stadler, Tao Yuan, Brunswick, ME
- Greg Denton and Gabrielle Quinonez Denton, Ox, Portland, OR
- Matthew Accarrino, SPQR, San Francisco
- Paul Qui, Qui, Austin
- Eli Kulp, Fork, Philadelphia
- Ari Taymor, Alma, Los Angeles
- Dave Beran, Next, Chicago
- Matt McCallister, FT33, Dallas
- Walker Stern and Joe Ogrodnek, Dover, Brooklyn