Dallas diners who can't get out for lunch have a new meal delivery option. A service called UberEats launches in Dallas on November 5, allowing diners to order lunch from Dallas restaurants through the Uber app and get it delivered to their home or office.
The area served is limited to downtown, Uptown, and Oak Lawn, although the company says it plans to expand that.
Participating Dallas restaurants include Bolsa Mercado, Deep Sushi, East Hampton Sandwich Co., Hospitality Sweet, Ellen’s Southern Kitchen, El Fenix, Fireside Pies, Malai Kitchen, Norma’s Cafe, Joy Macarons, Urban Taco, Unleavened Kitchen, and more.
It's the same cashless payment format as an Uber ride. You open the app, select the "Eats" option, choose your meal, tap a button to place your order, and the meal will be delivered curbside "within 10 minutes," according to a release.
UberEats is available for lunch Monday-Friday from 11 am-2 pm. Users get a choice each day of options from three restaurants, plus desserts or drinks. The menu changes daily.
The model works because the restaurants make the food before you order it; Uber just distributes it.
For example, on November 5, the menu includes the following:
- The Rustic: Burger topped with brisket, cheddar, green chili, and served with chips, $12.
- Smoke: Grilled hanger steak salad with arugula and celery in pecan pesto, $12.
- Cafe Momentum: Smoked carrot soup and grilled cheese sandwich with house-made goat cheese and tomato jam, $11.
For November 6, the menu will be:
- El Fenix: Cheese enchiladas with rice and beans, $9.
- Kin Kin Urban Thai: Pad Thai with chicken, $10.
- Bolsa Mercado: Chicken breast with root vegetables, $12.
Dallas has a long list food delivery options, with companies such as Caviar and Favor ready to do our bidding. Uber launched this food delivery service in early 2015 and already operates in cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Toronto, and Barcelona. Delivery charge is $4, but during the opening launch, delivery is free; go to the website for more information.