This Week's Hot Headlines
10 best Dallas neighborhood restaurants feed this week's hottest headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. 10 best neighborhood restaurants in Dallas feel right at home. For our next Tastemaker Awards category, we consider Best Neighborhood Restaurant. These are the places that for whatever reason — reliable food, hospitable service, a relaxing atmosphere — become your automatic go-to. They're the restaurants that reflect the neighborhood where they live. Here are our nominees.
2. Velvet Taco finds perfect home in Uptown Dallas taqueria location. There's a major taco hand-off happening in Uptown Dallas, as one gourmet taqueria leaves to be replaced by another: Dallas taqueria chain Velvet Taco will open a new location at 3411 McKinney Ave. in late summer 2018. That's currently a location of Urban Taco, which will close on March 31, following dinner service.
3. Pioneering Dallas shoe company flips more flops with first retail shop. Dallas-based Hari Mari has taken another big step toward world flip-flop domination with the opening of its first retail store, at 208 South Haskell Ave. The shop is tucked inside company headquarters in East Dallas, between Deep Ellum and Fair Park.
4. Cherished Dallas nonprofit marks 30th anniversary with springtime soiree. Thirty years ago, Bryan’s House became the first organization in the United States to provide 24/7 full-service, family support programs for children born with HIV/AIDS. More than 100 guests attended a 30th anniversary kick-off event to celebrate the Dallas nonprofit's history and achievements.
5. Dallas builders parade out 5 of their most spectacular custom homes. The creative folks belonging to the Dallas Builders Association are hired to build some of the most beautiful houses in the city, but rarely does the public get to see them, as their owners often are particularly private. But on one day this spring, DBA will open the doors to five high-end custom houses as part of its 2018 Parade of Homes.