Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. World-famous udon noodle shop makes Dallas debut with new exclusives. In a highly-anticipated arrival, authentic udon noodles are coming to town: Marugame Udon, a chain based in Tokyo that specializes in handmade Japanese udon noodles, plus tempura, robata grilled foods, and katsu sandos, is coming to Texas, with the first location opening in Carrollton at 3450 E. Hebron Pkwy. The restaurant will open August 31.
2. Popular podcaster Joe Rogan punches one-way ticket from LA to Texas. Podcaster, stand-up comedian, and mixed-martial-arts commentator Joe Rogan is following through on his promise (or threat?) to pack up and move from Los Angeles to Texas. Final destination: Austin. Two Austin real estate sources confirm that Rogan recently purchased a home along Lake Austin, near movie star Sandra Bullock.
3. California chain brings hefty, upscale sandwiches to second Dallas-area location. An upscale sandwich chain from California that promised to expand its footprint in Dallas is following through: Mendocino Farms has signed on to open a location on the border of Addison, at 5290 Belt Line Rd. The restaurant will open in at the Prestonwood Place shopping center, which is undergoing a big renovation.
4. Dallas earns lofty ranking in new study of America’s best cities. Buoyed by transportation, fine art, and Fortune 500 companies, Dallas ranks as the 14th best city in the country and one of the top cities in Texas, according to a consulting firm’s annual study. The study, published by Vancouver, Canada-based Resonance Consultancy Ltd., ranks large U.S. cities by relying on a mix of 26 performance and quality measures.
5. Drive-in movie concept sets up shop on grassy East Dallas field off US-75. A drive-in company with three locations in Texas is coming to Dallas. Called Rooftop Cinema Club, it'll set up an outdoor theater in East Dallas, at 2999 N. Carroll Ave. According to a release, the Dallas location is called Drive-In at The Central — it's off US-75, where the ACS building used to be before it got imploded in 2015 — and will open August 25.