This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Cast your vote now to determine the readers' choice CultureMap Stylemaker. We started with 12 fashionable men and women, and now we are down to six. Cast your vote now to help us determine the readers' choice winner of the first-ever Culturemap Stylemaker Awards. You can vote once a day, every day, until midnight on October 13.
2. Genaro's Mexican Cuisine departs East Dallas unceremoniously. It's hasta la vista for Genaro's Mexican Cuisine, the Tex-Mex restaurant that opened last year at Mockingbird Lane and Abrams Road. Owner Genaro Silva pulled the plug on September 29, leaving bills unpaid and disconnecting the phone on September 30.
3. Fletcher's reveals secret behind State Fair corny dog greatness. If you've been to the State Fair of Texas, there's a good chance you've also had a Fletcher's corny dog, the quintessential fair snack consisting of a hot dog wrapped in a cornmeal crust that long preceded the fried-food hullabaloo. Senior editor Teresa Gubbins finds out just what goes into all that meat-on-a-stick greatness.
4. Deep Ellum renaissance, new Uptown high-rise and more big city news. With so much going on around Dallas right now — Trinity River toll road, Deep Ellum renaissance, Trammell Crow obliteration — we've collated some of the highlights of the week for handy digestion.
5. Jury gets an earful during punishment phase of Keller black widow murder trial. After jurors found Michele Williams guilty of murder and tampering with evidence in the 2011 death of her husband, they still had to decide her sentence. A parade witnesses testified that while out on bond, Michele faked a pregnancy, tampered with her GPS monitor and took a secret beach vacation with her boyfriend. She got 60 years in prison.