This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Food Network star Alton Brown eats Dallas BBQ and does what he can't do on TV. Alton Brown's two-hour show at the Majestic allowed him to "rant, rave, preach and pontificate" about topics that might upset Food Network sponsors. He also got the chance to work some Pecan Lodge barbecue into his performance, which he had left over from an earlier binge fest at the Deep Ellum joint.
2. Luxurious mega-villa at Preston and Walnut Hill was built to entertain — a lot. You have probably seen this house a thousand times and wondered what it looks like inside. Well, now is your chance, because 9625 Preston Rd. is on the market for just under $6 million, and it's a stunner. Nearly every room has a view of the pool, and there are almost as many bars as bedrooms.
3. Beleaguered Dallas restaurant critic does surprising backflip and goes public. After years of vigorously defending the necessity of anonymity in the field of restaurant criticism, Dallas Morning News critic Leslie Brenner has "outed" herself. This sudden change in policy represents a backflip not only by Brenner, but also her employer.
4. Where to get your spook on this Halloween around Dallas-Fort Worth. Well, Halloween has come and gone, but hopefully you raked in the cash at a costume contest during one of these spook-filled parties. A few events run through the end of this weekend, so check it out.
5. Texas destination spa ranks among world's best. If you're looking to treat yourself to some luxurious R&R, you won't have to travel far. According to the latest Conde Nast Traveler Readers Choice Awards, Lake Austin Spa Resort in Austin ranks No. 4 among the 12 best destination spa resorts in the world and No. 21 among the 100 best hotels and resorts in the world.