Give your sleep space a modern rustic look by celebrating the natural architecture of the room and adding stripped-back materials, unfinished woods, and global-inspired textiles. Check out these six beautiful bedrooms for some inspiration.
1. Fashion some shelves. Use unfinished wood to create rustic shelves. In the paneled bedroom pictured above, two small bedside ledges have been fashioned from rough timber. It’s a simple idea, but a very effective way to give your room a homespun feel.
2. Mix materials. Use rustic finishes in a modern way by combining them with other materials. A simple wooden crate looks fantastic beside a beautiful “headboard” made of ceramic tiles. A copper lamp lifts the wood even more and gives the room an industrial edge.
3. Go for pale and interesting. Soft blue hues look wonderful in front of bleached wood walls. With the wood kept quite rough and pale, the space has a pared-down feel. To create the look, mix white paint with water and add a coat to your panels. Wipe it off with a paper towel or rag, and repeat the process until you have the right finish.
4. Hang a chandelier. Add surprising features to your space to give it a quirky feel. In this example, old beams on a ceiling have been teamed with an elaborate chandelier. The intricate design and shiny surfaces contrast beautifully with the weathered wood above.
5. Add charm to luxury. Exposed beams and a wrought iron curtain rail are old-fashioned elements that contrast well with an on-trend tufted headboard and modern bedside lamps.
6. Create a haven. A pared-back modern rustic look is enhanced with the addition of an unvarnished wood bedside table. The simple, pale finish works well with white bedding and a neutral rug. White wall panels and a painted floor provide the perfect backdrop.