A gourmet doughnut shop in the works for nearly a year is finally ready to make the doughnuts: The Salty Donut, an offshoot of a famed shop from Miami, has opened its first location outside of South Florida in Bishop Arts, where it will serve artisanal doughnuts, coffee, and baked goods.
According to a release, the shop will open at 414 West Davis St. (in the former Red Sparrow Mercantile space) on June 2. But it's already started serving doughnuts on a pickup and delivery model.
The Salty Donut was founded in 2015 by Andy Rodriguez and Amanda Pizarro, who debuted the concept out of a vintage camper set up in a parking lot in Miami's Wynwood district — the first to introduce the concept of gourmet doughnuts to Miami.
The young couple was met with instant long lines, and national attention, including their competition on the Cooking Channel’s Sugar Showdown in 2016, which they won with a cream-filled "cannoli doughnut."
They opened a second, larger location in South Miami in May 2019.
Signatures include their maple-bacon, 24-hour-raised brioche doughnut and a brown butter cake doughnut. Their chocolate-glazed chocolate doughnut is crafted with top-tier Valrhona milk-chocolate glaze and topped with crunchy chocolate pearls, made from scratch, not a pre-fab mix.
They also serve coffee drinks by esteemed brewer Intelligentsia Coffee, with a coffee menu that focuses on seasonality, as well.
On Tuesday, June 2, The Salty will open its first out-of-Miami store to the public for delivery and pickup orders. The exciting milestone will be celebrated throughout opening week with giveaways in collaboration with Topo Chico as well as Salty Donut Grand Opening swag packs for 100 random customer orders.
The opening menu will feature their full menu of 10 donuts, many of which have a local theme and/or use local ingredients, including regular and seasonal flavors.
Their regular menu (which they call "always") includes:
- Traditional Glazed. 24-hr brioche, vanilla bean glaze
- Maple + Bacon. 24-hr brioche, maple glaze, topped with in-house candied Rudolph’s Meat Market bacon + Oak Cliff Brewery Black Lager reduction
- Brown Butter + Salt. Vanilla bean cake donut, brown butter glaze + topped with Maldon sea salt
- Lone Star. 24-hr star-shaped brioche filled with ruby red grapefruit curd + tossed in grapefruit infused powdered sugar.
- Horchata. 24-hr brioche soaked in a horchata mixture, bottom crusted with Valrhona Caramelia chocolate + finished with torched cinnamon-meringue
- Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Donut: Chocolate cake donut with chocolate glaze
Seasonal items include both a vegan and a gluten-free doughnut:
- Sweet Corn (GF). Baked gluten-free sweet corn cake donut, topped with Desert Creek Honey glaze, buttercream + Maldon salt
- Peach Cobbler (V). Vegan yeast raised donut filled with caramelized peaches, vanilla-infused oat milk glaze, topped with brown sugar + oat streusel
- Sweet Tea + Bourbon. 24-hr brioche, sweet tea glaze, topped with Garrison Bro’s Bourbon reduction, shortbread crumble + bourbon whipped cream
- Jalapeno Jelly + Cream Cheese. 24-hr brioche filled with cream cheese, jalapeño-jelly glaze + topped with cornbread crumbles
The Salty Donut is launching a contest to encourage people to follow their Instagram account, with winners selected daily from May 27-31.