Proof + Pantry Coming Soon
“Proof” refers to the bar program; “pantry” is a nod to the seasonal menu. The concept comes from Misery Loves Co. Restaurant Group, whose goal, according to a release, is to “create a working platform to educate and grow talented individuals in the bar, restaurant and hospitality industries.”
Misery co-founders are Sal Jafar II, co-founder of Driftwood restaurant in Bishop Arts, and Michael Martensen, formerly of Cedars Social and Smyth, who also won the 2014 Tastemaker Award for Best Bartender. Joining Jafar and Martensen are executive chef Kyle McClelland (most recently of Driftwood), sous chef Brian Bui, barman Josh McCheron, and director of operations and wine expert Robert Hall.
The Proof + Pantry menu is organized by category, because every place needs a shtick:
- Soil, such as baby radishes, butter-dipped and served over rye soil
- Land, such as day old duck egg served with lamb belly and frisée
- Sea, such as raclette tarts served with smoked salmon roe, honey crème fraiche and green onion
- Bulk, aka items to share, such as tomahawk pork chop with lardon pozole, pickled peaches and radishes, as well as nightly and weekly specials
Unsurprisingly, the bar menu also gets the category treatment:
- No proof, such as the James N’ the Peach with peach shrub and Topo Chico
- Low proof, such as the Pickled Cobbler with dry sherry, London dry gin, pickling juice, agave nectar, rhubarb and cherries
- High proof, such as the Cards on the Table made with strawberry cardamom highland tequila, lemon juice, agave nectar and black pepper
Proof + Pantry is positioned to be “the pre-eminent destination in Dallas for mindfully prepared drinks,” with prices ranging from $8-$15.