Looking to kick things up a few notches this Thanksgiving? With the help of talented chefs and bartenders from around the world, Modelo Negra has crafted a selection of delicious dishes and beer cocktails that represent the very best flavors of Mexico and beyond.
That includes a spicy beer-brined grilled turkey for the big day, plus a red chile steak with beans that will please the table any time of the year.
- 1 whole fresh turkey breast, bone-in, skin-on, about 6 pounds
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) Modelo Negra beer
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 6 medium (about 3 oz.) dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into flat pieces
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. each, dried: marjoram, leaf thyme
- Olive oil
- 2½ tbsp. expeller pressed canola oil
- 2-3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 or 2 cups mesquite wood chips
— Put 2 ½ quarts water, sugar, salt, and pepper flakes into a very large deep pot. Stir the mixture to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the beer; mix well.
— Split the turkey breast down the breast bone into two pieces. Put turkey in the beer brine, making sure it is submerged. Refrigerate covered 6-8 hours.
— Soak mesquite chips in water to cover for at least 30 minutes. Heat a gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal fire and let it burn just until the coals are covered with gray ash and very hot.
— When the grill is ready, either turn the burner(s) in the center to medium-low or bank the coals to the sides for indirect cooking. Add some of the soaked wood chips to the grill (for a gas grill, place them in a smoker attachment box or wrap the chips in foil; for charcoal, place them on the hot coals). For the charcoal grill, set the grill grate in place.
— Remove turkey from the brine and pat thoroughly dry with paper towel. Rub the turkey with garlic and sprinkle with herbs.
— Set the turkey breast halves on a roasting rack set inside a heavy-gauge foil pan. Drizzle lightly with oil.
— Set the pan on the cooking grate. Pour 1 cup water into the turkey pan. Cover the grill and cook over medium heat. To maintain an even temperature with a charcoal grill, add more charcoal regularly (usually a few pieces every half hour or so). Keep adding wood chips as desired to give smokiness.
— Crack open another Modelo Negra and enjoy!
Drink responsibly. Modelo Especial and Modelo Negra Beers. Imported by Crown Imports, Chicago, IL.