Park Cities News
Award-winning pastry chefs team up on new bakery near Dallas' Park Cities
A new bakery is opening in Dallas with a famous pastry name attached: Called Sugar & Sage Bakery, it'll open at 4314 Lovers Ln. across from Highland Park High School, near the intersection of Douglas Avenue.
According to a release, it's opening at the end of April.
The team behind it includes Alison Weinstein, a Preston Hollow resident who recruited the participation of Michael Laiskonis, an award-winning chef, author, and consultant.
Laiskonis led the pastry program at Le Bernardin in New York for eight years, and is now a faculty member at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York.
Boots on the ground will be Jill Bates, a popular Dallas name who has received her own share of awards including a freshly-minted nomination for Best Pastry Chef in CultureMap's 2023 Tastemaker Awards.
A subscription-only story in the Dallas Morning News says that the bakery is also co-owned by Weinstein's 16-year-old daughter, Ashley Sage Weinstein, thus the name of the bakery.
The menu will include viennoiserie, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, and doughnuts along with savory items.
- Cinnamon ‘Cruffin’ Brioche Feuilleté – A rich and flaky laminated brioche accented with cinnamon sugar.
- Apricot Verbena Danish – A spin on the classic breakfast pastry, paring sweet apricot with vanilla cream and fragrant lemon verbena.
- Caramel Blondie – A thick, dense bar cookie with the sweet aroma of vanilla and brown sugar, topped with caramel.
- Brownie – A classic brownie owing its flavor and texture to an intense dark chocolate.
- Raspberry & Cream Glazed Doughnut – Golden yeast-raised doughnuts, dipped in a fruity and floral raspberry-rose glaze.
- Mushroom Focaccia – A warm pillowy house-made focaccia layered with ricotta and mushrooms sauteed with garlic and herbs and topped with melted gouda.
They'll also be doing a few breads including baguettes, whole wheat bread, pretzels, and will have a coffee program, as well.