The James Beard Foundation has revealed the semifinalists for its 2023 Restaurant and Chef Awards. A dozen Dallas-Fort Worth restaurants have been included in both national and regional categories.
Considered the Oscars of the food world, the awards recognize outstanding chefs and other culinary professionals in a wide range of categories ranging from Outstanding Chef to Best New Restaurant.
The awards also include media categories that will be announced at a later date.
Dallas nominees include:
- Outstanding Chef: Junior Borges, Meridian
- Outstanding Restaurant: Lucia
- Best New Restaurant: Restaurant Beatrice
- Best New Restaurant: Tatsu
- Outstanding Bakery: La Casita Bakeshop
- Outstanding Bakery: Kuluntu Bakery
- Reyna Duong, Sandwich Hag
- Olivia López and Jonathan Percival, Molino Olōyō
- Anastacia Quiñones-Pittman, José
- Regino Rojas, Revolver Taco Lounge
Fort Worth nominees include:
- Best New Restaurant: Don Artemio
- Best Chef: Texas nominees Jalen Heard, Lane Milne, and Jonny White, Goldee's Barbecue
Elsewhere in Texas, Houston boasts 10 nominees, San Antonio has seven, and Austin has six.
Finalists will be announced on Wednesday, March 29. The Foundation will reveal its winners at an awards ceremony on Monday, June 5, 2023, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.